Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Frugal living: Toothpaste

One of the last few things I’ve switched over is toothpaste. Because I’ve had inexpensive access I’ve just not been as concerned about it – though I still don’t like the artificial colors and flavors as well as the other unnecessary ingredients. If a child under 6 can’t safely use it, it shouldn’t be in the house.

 

Our current tube of toothpaste is not so bad as others I’ve seen.

Colgate Total Whitening Paste: water, hydrated silica, glycerin, sorbitol, PVM/MA copolymer, sodium lauryl sulfate, cellulose gum, flavor, sodium hydroxide, propylene glycol, carrageenan, sodium saccharin, titanium dioxide.
Without getting into a nasty debate about any particular ingredient above, I will say this: saccharin is less healthy than sugar but is equally unnecessary for brushing teeth, anything with the word propylene does not belong in our mouths and others are just downright unnecessary. I even have issues with hydrogen peroxide (again, if I have to keep it out of reach of my 5 year old…).

 

There are many variant recipes available for easy internet searching. A very basic one that follows all of my requirements above is so easy:

 

Toothpowder: baking soda and salt (3 parts soda to 1 part salt). Store in a small glass jar (we use jam jars for everything around here).

Brushing: Ideally 3 times a day, dip moistened toothpaste into and brush vigorously for 2 and a half minutes; follow with a flossing at least once a day.

Mouthwash: A thorough mouth-washing with warm salt-water takes care of the rest of the bacteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment