Monday, February 27, 2012

Twenty Minute Showers

Yep. That's right. I'm a glutton. I take 20-minute showers. When people hear the number 20, I know what they are thinking (wasteful of resources, wasteful of time, glutton, consumerism....)

I also shower the entire time with my eyes closed. Why!? Because water in my eyes stings. No, I'm not ultra-sensitive to pain - I am ultra-sensitive to sensation though - I did manage to give birth with no interventions and can honestly say, it was not the worst pain I've ever felt, not by a long shot!

So back to the showers. I'm blinded the whole time, I invariably still get water in my eyes and yet I take showers that long?

Well, now let's look at the bigger picture - I do a (homemade, crocheted cotton) washcloth bath every day with a small bowl of water; a larger bowl once a week to take care of the hair. I only actually shower once a month.

It saves on resources, saves on time, ensures I'm being ecologically-aware, doesn't dry out my skin (showers dry out my skin and especially my face, which then produces MORE oil than necessary, leading to acne; I rarely wash my face because of the acne issue - once the oils balanced out, it stays clean with a splash of water 1-2 times a week - I don't wear make-up or other items that need to be washed off either); and allows me one indulgence: a 20 minute hot shower massage, once a month.

If that's gluttony, bring it on!

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment