Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

Well, I finally did it. I FINALLY made something with all that sourdough I previously got started.

I'd intended to use it then, but sickness and work and other stresses got in the way, so it all sat in the fridge. I even forgot to FEED the stuff!

So Christmas Day, we pulled it out and started playing with it. It all came back and fairly quickly, so 2 months gone is not actually gone ;) Yay!

I decided that because I had the "main jar" for each type (I have 2 types); plus a back-up jar for each one; PLUS a peanut butter jar of each one (each jar is half-full), I would just resuscitate them 2 jars at first - see if it works. If it does, save some of THAT for the "main jar" - then resuscitate all of the rest and just bake it ALL up.

The thing is, so many of the sourdough instructions instruct you to toss out half of it at each feeding. That is SO unnecessary. if you start with a tiny amount to maintain, you can quickly double that and put your original back in the fridge, while working with the "doubled" part that would have been tossed out and turn THAT into whatever you're making. I understand the need to halve it and feed it so that it doubles again - in order to prevent the acidifying. Got it. But all that sourdough down the drain? All those good bacteria and yeast and ALL THAT FLOUR (I see wasted $$$$) down the drain!? NO way, buddy! Not in THIS household!

So. That means - we have a LOT of baking to do.

One of today's projects: sourdough cinnamon rolls.
BACKGROUND: If I've ever made cinnamon rolls before I don't remember - and it would have been with someone helping (ahem - directing!) me. I don't think I added near enough cinnamon and sugar inside....

BACKGROUND 2: these are sourdough cinnamon rolls and probably needed more than the usual amount of cinnamon/sugar to make up for it anyway.

BACKGROUND 3: This is my first time making ANYTHING with sourdough. Definitely need more practice, but a worthy first time!

[caption id="attachment_1031" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Not enough filling, I'm thinking. I added a BIT more after this photo.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1032" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Risen and ready for the oven (we actually had two pans - the other is a small square) - boy did they rise!!![/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1034" align="aligncenter" width="300"] MMMMMM..... Looks SO GOOD![/caption]

VERDICT: not near enough sugar and cinnamon. (so we doused the top of the still hot glaze with a LOT more cinnamon - definitely delicious now!!! Next time, I'll have to play with the amounts on the inside. I DO think that our sourdough was probably a bit over-sour for this particular recipe. I'll use a more stable batch next time.

Legoboy is begging for more - I'd best go make sure he doesn't eat the whole pan!

I will definitely make these again, with the noted modifications. I just LOVE how active this sourdough is, even after 2 months of not being "fed". It is so much healthier, feels more "real" to me so is a spiritual boost, and I just don't think I'll go back to "baker's yeast" again (it just doesn't do well in my gut area, 'nuff said ;) ).

UPDATE: My mom mentioned brown sugar. I used our cinnamon-sugar mix and then added more cinnamon; which obviously wasn't enough. But I bet the brown sugar would have helped ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment