Monday, September 16, 2019

St. Therese Guide to Personal Avocation - Part 1


In preparation for our parish pilgrimage, let us look at St. Therese’s mission: her mission from Jesus, her mission at the Convent and her mission in Heaven.

St. Therese’s Mission from Jesus:

One Sunday in July of 1887, towards the end of Mass in the Cathedral of Saint Peter, Thérèse received the Eucharistic grace of her mission.

As she closed her missal, she was captivated by a picture of the crucified Christ which slipped out from among the pages:
“I was struck by the blood flowing from one of the divine hands. I felt a great pang of sorrow when thinking this blood was falling to the ground without anyone’s hastening to gather it up. I was resolved to remain in spirit at the foot of the Cross and to receive the divine dew. I understood I was then to pour it out upon souls. The cry of Jesus on the Cross sounded continually in my heart: “I thirst!” These words ignited within me an unknown and very living fire. I wanted to give my beloved to drink and I felt myself consumed with a thirst for souls. As yet, it was not the souls of priests that attracted me, but those of great sinners; I burned with the desire to snatch them from the eternal flames…” (Manuscript A, 45v)

Therese had found her connection with Jesus. Each one of us has a personal connection, a personal calling, that leads to a personal mission for our lives here on earth. Therese’s connection was found in a specific profound moment. Yours may also be a profound particular moment or yours may be a series of events that finally come together or may be seen through the lens of discernment through a spiritual director or someone who knows us closely.

Let us each ponder how we can spread Jesus to the world and bring the world to Jesus. What is it God is calling you to do? 
Who is it God is calling you to be?





No comments:

Post a Comment