Friday, August 27, 2010

Cranberry Sauce - MMMMMMM!!!!!!

High fructose corn syrup - BLECK!!!!

After several months of almost no high fructose corn syrup, I am feeling the physical improvement in so many ways. I eat healthier, I have less cravings, I can stop eating when I know I am full.... But this post is not about HFCS.

It's about my favorite food: CRANBERRY SAUCE!

And my success in making a homemade version without two forms of corn syrup.

See - in our house, we eat (or ate) the stuff straight out of the can. Skip the bowl! This is good stuff!

Alas, that habit couldn't continue.

Without Further Ado:

Jellied Cranberry Sauce
Not for canning

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
12 oz fresh or frozen whole cranberries

Tools:
Medium saucepan
Wire mesh strainer
Medium mixing bowl
Wooden spoon

1) Boil the sugar and the water.
2) Add the cranberries and return to a boil.
3) Reduce the heat, boiling gently for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4) Remove from heat.
5) Place the strainer over the bowl. Strain the sauce by mashing berries with the back of a spoon against the strainer, frequently scraping the outside of the strainer until no pulp is left.
(Do as you like with the pulp - it's just as yummy by itself or mixed with other fruit, etc)
6) Stir the contents of the bowl.
7) Pour into mold or serving container of choice (we leave ours in the bowl!).
8 ) Chill for about 4 hours before serving.
9) Enjoy within 2-3 days.
10) Leave a comment about how it turned out!

Canning version



Begin as above with a bigger batch in a larger pot; bring it to a full boil (no simmering). Fill your jars leaving 1/4"-1/2' head space. Process in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Definitely let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment