Saturday, November 3, 2012

FlyLady and Catholic Hearts

Well... several years later, I have some updates....

First, several years ago, I tell in love with FlyLady. I knew there were areas we couldn't agree - and gray areas as well. But I worked it out. Instead of 5 areas of the house, I have 4 (I hve a much smaller home - and I look forward to those 4 weeks each year that are the "fifth week of the month" ;) Freebies!

The shoes thing.... It has always irked me. To no end. I couldn't just disagree and call it good. I think it is a rotten idea!

http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/fly-faq/#shoes

Based on her reasoning, the only reason I as a stay at home mom would want to keep my shoes OFF is because "only the kids will see me".

(please note when reading this list, when I first found FlyLady I was doing an in-home daycare)

Well..... I keep my shoes OFF at home for the following reasons:

  • so I can feel like I am at HOME.

  • so no gunk is being tracked in for babies to crawl through

  • so I can BE on the floor with the children

  • so the children can spread out a blanket and nap on the floor

  • so my overnight children can roll off their mats onto the floor and be on clean carpet

  • so I can keep my carpets cleaner - less time and money spent on cleaning (isn't this why I was doing FlyLady to begin with !?)


Ok, indoor shoes might work - then change to outdoor shoes.

Or not:

  • baby fingers on the floor - crawling - playing

  • with no shoes on at all, I can feel the carpet, I can feel the small items that fall and might choke a child, I will feel a baby's finger before stepping on it just too hard (yes, I should see the baby as well, but there ARE fast babies - and if I am carrying one across the room in a hurry (leaking diaper, vomiting baby), well, there just ARE situations where you see the baby but not the fingers.

  • I am a calmer, more relaxed person without shoes on. I am at home. I am WITH the PEOPLE.


She also uses the reasoning about being a professional. Professional swimmers don't wear shoes when doing their jobs ;) Jokes aside, I am a mom, not a professional. I am ok with dressing neatly, brushing the hair (I don't wear make-up, even in truly professional situations, so I won't do it at home), always being ready to greet someone at the door - those things I am good with.

But I don't want shoes in my home. And for those people who stop by just for a few minutes so don't want to take shoes off? Well, it's those first few minutes when the most gunk falls off your shoes onto my carpeting and flooring - and I have the most cleaning up to do when you leave.

That is not me being mean or rude or obnoxious or controlling. That is me being realistic and asking for a little respect in my own home. I have only ever had issues with four people: a firemen who had to do a safety inspection for daycare purposes and the daycare inspection lady (both of whom put plastic bags over their shoes while walking ; my son's godmother (go figure - we love you anyway!); and the man I was courting for a year and a half (he was so used to wearing his shoes non-stop in his own home because of having a cat that vomited and pooped EVERYwhere) - and while he tried SO hard to be mindful of my requests, habits over-ride. And stuff was brought INto my home FROM his home via everyone's shoes that I won't even describe here. Ew.

Sorry FlyLady. No shoes in this home!

(and yes, when I can get away with it - no shoes OUTside either! ;) Easier to clean off feet before coming in, than it is shoes)

No comments:

Post a Comment