Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hot Fudge Topping - NO HFCS

Hot Fudge ice cream topping - or by the spoonful ;) (sh - I won't tell!)

I have really enjoyed the chocolate syrup recipe I discovered a few years back, but tonight I was in the mood for something different - thicker - gooier - hot fudge topping!

But there is always the dreaded high fructose corn syrup. Sigh.
I have come to the conclusion that such concoctions as HFCS are poison to ALL human bodies; it is just that some bodies can cleanse themselves better. When I have it tiny quantities (and not within about 9 days before the start of my cycle), I do just fine - maybe *slight* fatigue. Any more than that, and I am fatigued like I've someone unplugged the energy plug from me - like a deflated basketball. Thud.

So I started the dreaded web search - how long would it take me to find the perfect recipe?

  • NO HFCS.

  • Simple to make - even my son could make it.

  • Few ingredients - and all-natural. (white sugar is ok)

  • Ideally pure ingredients - as in the ingredients listed are just one ingredient by itself (for example, "bittersweet chocolate" has more than one ingredient, so that wouldn't work - see, then I'd have to check THOSE ingredient lists and that's just getting too much for what should be simple and basic)

  • And it had to end up being cheaper than buying all-natural at the store (I am good with it being it more expensive than the HFCS-laced stuff if necessary)


Was there ANY hope for me!?

I FOUND IT!!!!


http://www.foodess.com/2011/08/cocoa-hot-fudge-sauce/

Cocoa Hot Fudge Sauce



  • 3/4 cup sugar

  • 1/2 cup cocoa

  • 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk

  • 4 tbsp butter

  • 1 tsp vanilla

  • pinch of salt


1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar, cocoa and cream. Cook on high 2-3 minutes, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.

2. Stir in butter and cook on high 2-4 minutes more, watching closely and stirring every 30 seconds or so, until mixture thickens. Stir in vanilla and a pinch of salt.

(I made mine on the stovetop - obviously ;) - see images)

[caption id="attachment_991" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="That is an 11.5 oz jam jar of hot fudge sauce - completely full - and then some in the pan (we'd already eaten some on a bowl of ice cream each - so perhaps 14 oz altogether? with some left for scraping ;) )"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_992" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Trying to show the thickness - I think a video would be needed for that though!"][/caption]

This stuff is SO DELICIOUS! I think I should boil it a bit longer to get it thicker, but as it cooled (still warm) it was quite thick already (please note, I did not boil it as long as the recipe says - I should have!). I was still separating turkey meat from bones in between making this hot fudge topping that the hot fudge was done before I was! It was THAT EASY!

Legoboy is already making plans for the jam jar we have so we can use it up and HE can make it ;) I think I'll have him add about half cup of peanut butter to it too next time - just for kicks!

(ETA: If you add peanut butter, decrease the regular butter by something - not sure how much - we did make a second batch - and the regular butter has separated out - probably too much oil from the butter AND the peanut butter together).

(I suppose I should note that most of these posts are scheduled out in advance - I sit down and write a bunch of posts in half an hour and schedule them out - so no, a week later I am NOT still caring for the Thanksgiving turkey ;) By the time you all read this, the turkey is safely in the freezer (or consumed! yum!))

2 comments:

  1. This recipe is great! Getting away from the high fructose corn syrup is a very challenging task these days! One thing though, do you have any stove top directions? We are microwave free as well as gluten and dairy free at our house.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the above recipe ON the stove-top; I don't typically use the microwave either. Just use a medium saucepan as shown in the photo. :)

    For dairy-free, I am not sure the best alternate white liquids to sub for the heavy cream; and the butter really finishes it off nicely, so I am not sure how to make it dairy free! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete